Saturday, November 7, 2009

Amazing Architecture

Caught up with a friend last night who showed me some pictures of a trip she made to Canada and took me a bit down memory lane.

She asked if I was familiar with the Fairmont Hotels.  "No" I said; however, the one hotel she showed me a picture of reminded me of the Chateau Laurier that my college friends and I had the privilege of staying in for Canada Day Celebrations on Capital Hill in Ottawa - a couple of times...thanks Jo-Ann.  But alas, these were then known as the Canadian Pacific Hotels - that is how I know them.

Check out the beautiful Chateau Laurier.

View of the Chateau Laurier from the Rideau Canal.  It is located immemdiately beside Parliament Hill where we watched the amazing firework display one year right from our hotel window!

 
Looks beautiful at night.

And check out the Capital Hill Parliament Buildings.
A view from the Rideau Canal....so this is a rear view.
Front view.

Winter view.
Frozen Rideau Canal - ice skating in winter is a common style of transportation.


A closer shot.

Another Canadian Pacific Hotel was the Royal York in Toronto - this was also bought out by the Fairmont Company.

There are so many beautiful hotels.  I remember staying in a hotel in Toronto that I think was called the L'Hotel, but cannot find it....I'll have to check on that one.

There is one hotel that I hope one day to be able to stay in..........it is: Chateau Lake Louise.
How amazing does this look, eh?  Lake Louise, Alberta and of course, there is Banff and the hot springs....hope to visit there one day, too.

Well, I think I'll wrap this entry up for one day.  I really do need to unpack some more boxes and get more settled in our new place.  I'll write more about that another time.

Cheers.

8 Nov 09 - An addition to above article.


Thanks Janet for your comment.  To answer your query, yes, the beautiful Chateau Frontenac is one of the Fairmont Hotels, originally known as the Canadian Pacific Hotels.


Check out this photo I found on Wikipedia.  (You may need to click on it to view the whole pic.)
Beautiful.  In fact, it says and I quote,

"It holds the Guinness World Record of "The most photographed hotel in the world".

Now I know that the information is only as accurate as what people post on the website, but hey, sounds good to me!
A scene in the Fall.

And now, here's an old shot...I found a good picture of the Banff Springs Hotel.
Love it! Particularly the Black and White shot!

It is so much more fun to write and research photography and take your own photos than working in Recruitment.  Hhhmmm....how can I turn this into a job!?  Now, that would be fantastic! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting these, Brenda! Ottawa truly is a beautiful city - I liked it so much when I visited in the 80s that I almost moved there. I didn't stay at the Chateau Laurier though - too rich for my blood. However, I have stayed at the Royal York in Toronto and the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec (not sure whether CF is part of the same chain or not).

    ReplyDelete