Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Man In The Moon

While I was outside tonight in the backyard with the puppies, I looked up to the horizon and there was a beautiful orange haze along the edge of the sky. The sun had gone to bed, but it was still leaving its mark behind; out of sight, but not out of mind you could say!


I love sunsets, sunrises, clouds, birds, the ocean, sand and the sky. Whilst I believe that God is all around us, omnipresent, and not up in the sky or heaven as some would call it, there is a calm that the sky brings, in the evening light with its twinkling stars and it makes me ever more aware of my Heavenly Father and He is afterall, the creator of the sky.



So my eyes wandered upward just a wee bit and there he was...."The man in the moon." About an eighth of him was visible to me tonight and hey, not a bad shot with the iPhone. Alas, I really do need to invest in the tripod to get some good night shots.



No, I do not think of 'the man in the moon' as God; in fact, I do not even know where the expression originated from. I remember the saying from my childhood days and it immediately came to mind tonight when I saw the moon. Pretty cool how the angle of the earth rotating around the sun is what gives the moon its glow in the evening sky; whether it be an eight, a quarter, half or even full moon. I have never really studied the moon and stars alot, but I do believe that the next time we see a full moon will be Easter weekend.


Not sure why Easter is scheduled around the full moons, but it is pretty cool that whilst we over here in the Southern Hemisphere do not see the same stars (the Big and Little Dippers are not visible to me during the day and similar the Southern Cross is not visible during the day in the Northern Hemisphere), we see the same full moon.

The Big Dipper
The Southern Cross
The Southern Cross on the Australian Flag


I have said it before and I will say it again and keep saying it - How cool is God that He created all of this - How majestic is He! In light of my challenge to myself this past weekend, in which I am going to get more in touch with my creative side and write at least one blog article a week, I thought hey, this is a good opportunity to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment